span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Miranda Writes

LOL! So cheesy, but cool!!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Trying harder -- Platforms to success

I am currently working towards my next platform. I can see the ultimate ends result, but breaking my goals down into platforms helps to keep me from getting overwhelmed, and allows me to bask in the glory of each platform achieved. Nothing beats that proud feeling of accomplishment and rewarding myself as I see fit.

Basically, I start by clearly defining my goals. Then I envision myself already having reached my next platform. This Miranda is a non-smoker, an avid writer, dedicated in physical fitness and healthy eating, and instead of being a nightly drinker of adult beverages, she is a social drinker. What will this Miranda look like? How will this Miranda feel? How does this Miranda act? How does this Miranda react? I envision with clarity. I put my mind in that place. I become that person, even if only for a brief few moments in a state of meditation.

I am still in the beginning stages, but I’ve made a lot of progress in this last week. The catalyst for these changes was a cold I was fighting last weekend. I felt like total crap. I couldn’t help but realize how worthless smoking cigarettes and eating like crap was for boosting my immune system and helping me fight this virus off. If anything it was making it worse. I had been eating these cup o noodle things for the past 2 weeks every single day, sometimes 2 or 3 of them a day! So with poor nutrition and inhaling toxic smoke day in and day out, I deserved to feel like crap. That was about the moment I became more determined to make a change happen.

My last cigarette was 10/20/10 at 12:45pm. I know that was only two days ago, however I am going strong and I feel that the worst of it is withering away with each moment. I feel empowered. I made a choice and I am seeing it through, and that feels good. Once I make it through the weekend, I will consider that goal accomplished. I have found it to be extremely helpful to be aware of my triggers, which are primarily driving and after I eat. I purposely prepare myself mentally. I put on my mental armor to power through those times when I know the ‘urge’ is going to sneak up on me. So far that approach has served me well, and I am 100% confident that I will be standing on that platform as a non-smoker in no time at all.

I made a promise to myself last Friday that starting Monday morning I would get up at 5:30 a.m. all week and get a great start to my day. I promised myself I would use that extra time in the morning to exercise, shower and eat breakfast. I deduced that this would be much easier on me since Jay gets up at that time to get himself to work. I was only dedicated to doing this every morning this week, as I did not want to overwhelm myself. I could do it for one measly week right? Well, let me tell you, I’ve gotten myself up and I feel great! It is so nice to get that start to the day. I get up and do Pilates. Then I relax with a cup of coffee and watch the news for a while, get my forecast for the day, etc. Then I shower and get Nevaeh up. We eat breakfast together, which is so great. The extra time in the morning also gives me the opportunity to take more pride in my appearance. Something I never could do when I would roll out of bed at the last possible second and rush out of the house. I really love the extra time in the morning. Not only that, but after work, when I would normally work out, is now time to spent with my family and relaxing. My workout has already been squared away! I can’t wait to keep up my morning routine!

I haven’t had a drop of alcohol in 7 days. I have absolutely no withdrawals or urges to drink whatsoever. I am perfectly content to save adult beverages for special occasions or social situation. Plus, with all the exercising and eating right I’ve been doing this week, I do not need the extra empty calories either! This daily habit was very easy to let go of. I am relieved to have taken that step so easily. It helps a lot to have another adult in the house that also has the same ‘take it or leave it’ mentality when it comes to alcohol. I am very grateful for the support I get from Jay. It is a really good feeling to know that I am supported in every aspect of my endeavors. I have nothing working against me and that is such a relief.

So now I feel the only thing left for me to do is step onto the platform and own it. I’m right there, I just have to step up and stand tall. So you may be wondering what will the me of my next, higher platform look like? Hmmmmm, I think she will be more mindful and patient. She will take in every moment, and she will savor the time with loved ones. I think the Miranda of the next platform will suddenly feel motivated to finally get the basement organized and how I want it! And of course, continue to follow the path of a healthier self. This is an ongoing journey of learning to cook more with whole, real food and less out of a box, processed garbage. Expanding my horizons of physical activity so my body looks as good as it can and my level of endurance is the best it can be. The Miranda of the next platform will try harder in life in general, with an emphasis on nurturing the relationships that are dearest to my heart.

1 Comments:

At October 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was an awesome post...glad that you have made strides in the areas you did!! very important!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home