span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Miranda Writes

LOL! So cheesy, but cool!!

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Independence

What does independence day mean to you? Historically it is the anniversary of our break from the British some 230yrs ago. The birthdate of the first signature on the Declaration of Independence. To date I think some still feel the patriotic ring of the holiday, but mostly we just blow stuff up to makes pretty lights in the sky.

It is too easy to take daily luxuries for granted in this day in age. The sense of entitlement we all feel toward simple things in life we feel we deserve; three square meals, warm soft beds, hot showers every morning. Appreciation is lost somewhere between the hustle bustle and daily stresses(more often than not imagined) of life. I know I have been the guiltiest of all at times. I know being 'thankful' is for Thanksgiving... however freedom(pending ones personal definition of freedom, that is) is near the top of my list of graditudes.


It's amazing to look back in history, all that we've acomplished as a country over the last 232 years....or even the last 100 years...hell, let's take the last 60-70 years. I think to myself, what if I lived back in the 40's and 50's....I'm am still a single mother flying solo with a young child and an absent father who provides no support(in any definition of the word). It would have been impossible to survive. Trying to find work, trying to find childcare, trying to pay for many necessities, trying to find moral/spiritual support.

****fastforward****

I try to count my blessing at least once a day. Yes, there are still many obstacles to over come as a young single mother. Yes there are a lot of obstacles to overcome no matter WHO you are. Yes, our country does have a lot of problems both morally and economically. Yes, life sucks sometimes. That's why we have fireworks, cook out's, and cocktails on the 4th of July!! Happy 4th y'all!!

1 Comments:

At July 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

Yea, blowing up stuff! woohoo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home